An mp3 ripping yarn

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Fri Dec 30 11:57:26 UTC 2005

Thanks everybody for all the excellent advice. Sound Juicer is now ripping to
mp3 files on the FC4 machine.

Just for the archive, here's an updated version of my notes:-

<MP3NOTES>
1) Put the following into /etc/yum.repos.d/Freshrpms.repo (might need to
change the first line to reflect the FC issue number:-

[freshrpms-fc-3]
name=Fedora Project $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms

2) Import the GPG key:-

rpm --import http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/yum/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms

3) Install the plugins:-

yum install gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio

4) Add an mp3 profile (if required - check first!)
Extract from email reply from the Fedora Core list:-

<extract>
If you need to store tracks in the MP3 format (for example, because your
portable music player only supports MP3 and not Ogg Vorbis), you will need to
create a new profile. To do this:-
run gnome-audio-profiles-properties
press New and name it MP3.
Then press Edit
and set GStreamer Pipeline to audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame
name=enc
or maybe audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc preset=1002
the File Extenstion to mp3
and check Active.

Then start Sound Juicer and select the MP3 format.
</extract>

5) Make sure all the required gstreamer stuff is installed:-

[dave at boss ~]$ rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
gstreamer-0.8.7-4.FC3.0
gstreamer-plugins-0.8.5-1
gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio-0.8.6-2.1.fc3.fr
[dave at boss ~]$

Now it should work!

Notes on setting up the gstreamer profiles:-
http://paul.frields.org/?page_id=524

Also might need to use yum install xmms-mp3 to get this working too.
</MP3NOTES>

--
Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763