FC4 Pine replacement?

Jonathan Underwood j.underwood at open.ac.uk
Fri Dec 30 18:46:29 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
>>When one only has ssh access to a machine and no local Xserver, a
>>console based MUA is handy :)
>

> Yes but it would be even better to set up an IMAP server on
> the machine and let your local MUA display it as another
> folder.  You can probably tunnel that through ssh if you
> can't set up direct imap-over-ssl.

Agreed. But there are many times I find myself in an internet cafe where
that's not viable - this is the only time i use pine, but it is
invaluable then.

If the machine wasn't behind a firewall which prevented it (and isn't in
my control), I would set up an imap server on the machine together with
a web server and webmail application (squirrelmail or similar) for
remote mail access.