ATI OpenGL driver only works with an FC4 "everything" installation

Stanton Finley stanfinley at comcast.net
Sat Dec 31 00:50:31 UTC 2005

I've been doing installation tests on a laptop with onboard ATI
Technologies Inc ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE) video. I have found
that when I install the latest driver
(ati-driver-installer-8.20.8-i386.run) the graphics acceleration feature
does not take and "fglrxinfo" defaults back to the Mesa drivers *except*
when I do an "everything" install on FC4. When I install "everything" it
works and I get the proper message

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON XPRESS 200M Series SW TCL Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.5519 (X4.3.0-8.20.8)

when I do the "fglrxinfo" command. This happens even if I install kernel-devel and gcc.

I'm thinking there must be some program(s) that I get with the "everything" install that makes it possible to install the ATI driver. If anyone knows what it is please let me know so I can just install that program rather than the "everything" install.

Stanton Finley
http://stanton-finley.net/