Trying to boot Core 4 without a Monitor Attached

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Dec 31 02:46:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 18:22 -0800, Roger Haase wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed FC4 with KDE and used it as a desktop for a bit and now I
> want to remove the monitor, mouse, and keyboard and use it as a server
> for a short time while as I set up another system.
>
> However, when I remove the monitor cable, the system does not boot --
> it repeatable tries to access the CD every few seconds.  It boots with
> the mouse and keyboard removed, and even if I power off the monitor.
> Removing the monitor cable seems to cause the problem.
>
> I would like to use the system as a desktop again later so I prefer not
> to uninstall the KDE desktop.
>
> Any ideas on what I can do to free up my monitor?

If you are using it as a server and want to do so headless, the easiest
way is simply set it to boot to runlevel 3.  No real need to remove any
software for that (although as a server the overhead of running
unnecessary services can affect performance and security).

As long as the bios is happy with booting with no keyboard I would
expect no problems.

I expect the repeated attempts to access the CD and the fact it is
related to the monitor being disconnected it that KDE is trying to load
the video drives and cannot detect the monitor so it recycles.  In
runlevel 3 the X system is not started.