firefox java plugin

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sat Dec 31 09:21:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 20:35 -0800, Ed Landaveri wrote:
> I see many people strugling with the java plugin for firefox 1.0.7. It
> used to work with my old firefox 1.0.4 'till I upgraded. If you have
> the old java you don't need  to download and install. This is what I
> did:

> [root at tuxie plugins]# cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
> [root at tuxie plu! gins]#ln
> -s /usr/local/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Actually, the above is all you need to do when you do a Fedora install.
The plugin will work for *both* Firefox and Mozilla if you put it
in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ from the beginning.  It won't matter
whether you upgrade Mozilla or Firefox after that, they will still get
the plugin without having to do anything at all (Unless you are
upgrading java itself, then you have to relink it).

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!"