is evolution really dependent on spamassassin?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 31 10:10:56 UTC 2005

Hi,

I don't use spamassassin, I find it more of a hindrance than a help, so
I wanted to remove it.

yum remove spamassassin
...[snip]...
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Removing:
 spamassassin            i386       3.0.4-2.fc4      installed         1.8 M
Removing for dependencies:
 evolution               i386       2.2.3-2.fc4      installed          24 M

And trying "rpm -e spamassassin" produces the same sort of response.

Surely this is a stupid dependency?  It's supposedly *optional* whether
you use anti-spam filtering in Evolution (I've never allowed it's junk
mail checking), why should it *have* to be present?

I read messages from the public lists.