Make a boot floppy

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Dec 31 14:48:11 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 00:49 +0200, Lorenzo Sandini (Sonera) wrote:
>
>>Pardon my ignorance, but during the install process I wasn't given an
>>option to create a boot floppy for FC4.
>>
>>Not that I think I need one, but with all distros I have tried ealier,
>>(years ago...) this always was an option...
>>
>>If I had to create one now, how would I do it ?
>>

> You can't.  The kernel is too large for a floppy.
> You can make a boot CD, download the rescue CD from Fedora, or boot to
> rescue mode from the first install CD.
>
> Because there are several options I simply use the rescue CD since I
> thus only have to download it and burn the CD from the downloaded image.

If your system's not actually stuffed, a grub floppy can be handy. Some
time ago I stuffed up a system running RHL 7.0 (needed a 2.2 kernel),
trying to install Debian on the other hard drive, and nearly got it right.
Thereafter, the FC2 rescue disk didn't work - could't fix either the RHL
7.0 or the Debian system, Knoppix du jour didn't work, but a grub floppy
let me type the commands I needed to boot one of them.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait