OT: Personal Diary/Journal Software

Ali Helmy alihelmy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 21:37:26 UTC 2005

Hey Paul,

I'm quite interested in the diary software as well, so I'm a bit new to
Linux, so I need to ask you two favours if you can please:

A) I downloaded the .tar.bz2 file, now can you please walk me through
installing it?
B) The files I need from Java need a sign-in, so can you send them to me,
because I dont have a sign-in...

Thanks

On 12/31/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 03:25, Tim wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking of something like a business diary where you jot down notes
> > related to work today, tomorrow, next week, etc., and you can refer back
> > to them years later without needing special software to do so.
>
> Do you mean like the 'tasks' folder of evolution?
>
> > At this stage I've just written a flat HTML calendar page.  I can see
> > what needs to be done on any PC on the network, and years later I'll be
> > able to *easily* check up on who had what done for them on what date.
>
> There are several ways of running any X program from any machine,
> but if you really want a trouble-ticket sort of tracker for
> multiple users/groups you might like RT.  It is overkill for a
> to-do list, but the price is right:
> http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/
>
> > I've tried using calendar functions in various mail programs, but they
> > only work on the local client.  Not to mention that you need to
> > continuously run a behemoth program to check on what you should be doing
> > (for reminders about multiple activities during the day).
>
> Yes, but the same program also checks for email which you
> need to do anyway - and note that if your own terminal doesn't
> have the capacity to run the programs you need you can run
> it remotely on a more powerful machine that could be serving
> many users.  In fact if you have such a machine you might be
> better off running your own desktop as a thin client.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com
>

> --