need help with clamd, freshclam & clamav-milter setup...

Mike Leahy mgleahy at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:40:37 UTC 2005

Hello list,

I'm wondering if anyone knows a fairly straightforward way to get ClamAV
running on FC4.  I got the rpms through yum, but this did not actually
install a daemon for clamd.  I was eventually able to hack a script into
the init.d folder that runs clamd, and I have clamav-milter running with
sendmail.  While I have all of this stuff running without errors
(services are all ok, as far as I can tell, sendmail is hooked into
clamav-milter).  However I have two problems.

First, I'm getting emails sent to root with the following warning:

WARNING: update of clamav database is disabled; please see
   '/etc/sysconfig/freshclam'
   for information how to enable the periodic update resp. how to turn
   off this message.

I've looked at that file, and it's not very explanatory...does anyone
know how to get freshclam enabled?

Second, I tried sending the eicar test virus through my sendmail server,
but as far as I can tell, nothing was detected...and no logs 'at all'
are being generated by the clamav-milter service (even though the config
is telling it to).  What do I need to get sendmail/clamav-milter working
in harmony?  In this case, I'd almost prefer errors, so I'd have an idea
what might be the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Mike