How to disable "acpi poweroff" in shutdown script?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 13:10:52 UTC 2005

Petr Fischer wrote:
> Thanks, I will try disable acpi with acpi=off on my server (I dislike
> this option on normal computers [notebooks, workstations]).

Please note that this may enable APM, which can *still* turn your
computer off. You may need to add apm=off to the kernel parameters.

(Contra-indications: APM does not work with hyperthreaded or
multiple-core processors, or on SMP machines. I understand that some
modern PCs no longer have APM support in BIOS, since all supported
versions of Windows prefer the ACPI support.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "I don't think so," said René Descartes.  Just then,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | he vanished.