Automatic email relay agent?

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Thu Dec 1 21:00:54 UTC 2005

> Am Do, den 01.12.2005 schrieb Hongwei Li um 20:45:
>
> When you made the hand established TLS connection and then entered "EHLO
> foo.bar", go on and AUTH yourself. To do this you need to base64 encode
> your username and password. You can do this with a Perl 1-liner:
>
> perl -MMIME::Base64 -e 'print encode_base64("user\0user\0password");'
>
> That will print out a string which you have to enter following way
> (after initial EHLO):
>
> AUTH PLAIN dXNlcgB1c2VyAHBhc3N3b3Jk
>
> That must be answered by Sendmail with a authentication success message.
> If you hand auth using LOGIN, you enter "AUTH LOGIN", will get back a
> base64 string which decodes as the question which user shall auth, you
> enter the base64 encoded username, then Sendmail will ask in base64 form
> for your password, which you have to enter too in base64 encoding.
> Finally a success message must follow.
>
> I am sure these test will be successful as the initial test trying to
> establish a STARTTLS session already was successful. So your problem is
> client based. Check for firewalling and anti-virus scanners (outbound
> mail scanning), as I told you before. The issue (especially Norton's
> thing) is well known and an ongoing pain. You will find many hits and
> references to this through google. I.e.

I tested, but got:

# perl -MMIME::Base64 -e 'print encode_base64("user\0user\0password");'
dXNlcgB1c2VyAHBhc3N3b3Jk

(after
# openssl s_client -connect morpheus.wustl.edu:25 -starttls smtp
220 morpheus.wustl.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:52:41
-0600
ehlo foo.bar
250-morpheus.wustl.edu Hello morpheus.wustl.edu [128.252.85.129], pleased to
meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME