Automatic email relay agent?

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Thu Dec 1 21:11:26 UTC 2005

>> Am Do, den 01.12.2005 schrieb Hongwei Li um 20:45:
>>
>> When you made the hand established TLS connection and then entered "EHLO
>> foo.bar", go on and AUTH yourself. To do this you need to base64 encode
>> your username and password. You can do this with a Perl 1-liner:
>>
>> perl -MMIME::Base64 -e 'print encode_base64("user\0user\0password");'
>>
>> That will print out a string which you have to enter following way
>> (after initial EHLO):
>>
>> AUTH PLAIN dXNlcgB1c2VyAHBhc3N3b3Jk
>>
>> That must be answered by Sendmail with a authentication success message.
>> If you hand auth using LOGIN, you enter "AUTH LOGIN", will get back a
>> base64 string which decodes as the question which user shall auth, you
>> enter the base64 encoded username, then Sendmail will ask in base64 form
>> for your password, which you have to enter too in base64 encoding.
>> Finally a success message must follow.
>>
>> I am sure these test will be successful as the initial test trying to
>> establish a STARTTLS session already was successful. So your problem is
>> client based. Check for firewalling and anti-virus scanners (outbound
>> mail scanning), as I told you before. The issue (especially Norton's
>> thing) is well known and an ongoing pain. You will find many hits and
>> references to this through google. I.e.
>>

> I tested, but got:
>
> # perl -MMIME::Base64 -e 'print encode_base64("user\0user\0password");'
> dXNlcgB1c2VyAHBhc3N3b3Jk
>
> (after
> # openssl s_client -connect morpheus.wustl.edu:25 -starttls smtp
> 220 morpheus.wustl.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:52:41
> -0600
> ehlo foo.bar
> 250-morpheus.wustl.edu Hello morpheus.wustl.edu [128.252.85.129], pleased to
> meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
> AUTH PLAIN dXNlcgB1c2VyAHBhc3N3b3Jk
> 535 5.7.0 authentication failed
> AUTH LOGIN dXNlcgB1c2VyAHBhc3N3b3Jk
> 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
>
> (if I press Enter, it shows:)
> 535 5.7.0 authentication failed
>
> quit
>
> Did I do something wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hongwei
>
> --

If I disable Norton Antivirus, then the OE works.  But, most users would not
like to disable norton antivirus, how to work around this?  especially, we
have Symantec Antivirus as managed by the shcool, it is not easy to explain to
everybody how to disable it when sending emails out, then enable it after
finished.

Thanks!

Hongwei