username/uid restrictions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 2 12:27:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 10:31 +0000, T. Horsnell wrote:
> The thing that concerns me more, is the plethora of reserved
> usernames. There seems to be no rule to distinguish a reserved
> username (presumably the list in the RHEL sysadmin guide is
> going to grow) and its only a matter of time before some
> newly allocated name collides with one which has been given to
> a user. In fact, I cant find anywhere what the rules are for
> usernames. Character-set? How many chars?
> Pity that reserved names arent systematic in some way (like
> always starting with sys_ or somesuch).

I suppose your best bet is to use real human name derived usernames,
rather than nicknames, placenames, or technical-sounding names.

The other obvious solution is run a separate box for your mail service,
that's not going to have other services running on it, and carry on
using what already works fine for you.

I read messages from the public lists.