theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:02:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:22, Mike McCarty wrote:

> > Windows suffers because by default most users have admin or super user
> > capabilities.  This in turn becomes the conduit that so many of the
> > viruses use to gain complete control of the system.
>
> Eh? Not on any machine I administer, they don't.

Are there no users who know more about their own jobs and program
installation needs than you do?  The reason personal computers
became popular is because central management of mainframe type
installations often didn't keep with their users changing needs.
In places where users can't control their own PCs, you'll often
see 2 computers on every desktop. One is official and used for
email, and the other is bought with department or project funds
and is where the real work gets done using programs the user
installs himself.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com