basic operations

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:08:36 UTC 2005

Windows give freedom to install new programs any where, including default.
In a way this flexibility is good if one nears full capacity of the
partition. Under Win, almost all programmes can be relocated some way after
install or by re-installation. Under Linux rigid rule "not relocatable" is
prevalent. Under Linux some programmes will go to users home directory! I
have realplay lying there.
But at the end of day Linux is liked for the challenge it poses
to manage and Windows for daily survival.
Hey - that's unfair!

On 12/3/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Phet Whore Meyer wrote:
> > To whom it may concern,
> >
> > Ive recently left the dark and moved into linux, i just have this one
> > query for now:
> > In windows all programs were installed into a folder called 'Program
> > Files', in linux, where is that equivelant folder? What is it called?
> >
> > I know that this question is fairly trivial, is there anywhere else i
> > can go to find out basic information such as this?
>

> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
>
> This is a proposed Standard for the file system hierarchy on UNIX
> like OSs. It contains a rationale for where to put things.
>
> Mike
> --
> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
> You have found the bank of Larn.
> I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>
> --

Anil Kumar Shrama