Suppressing Real Player on RPM downloads

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 22:26:31 UTC 2005

On 12/2/05, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> > Kam Leo wrote:
> > <snip>

> >> How is this the fault of the Web admin?  Are you claiming that the
> >> administrators for the Fedora Core servers don't know any better?
> >

> > The server is probably sending this mime type for .rpm files
> >
> > audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin     rpm
> >
> > instead of
> >
> > application/rpm      rpm
> >

> Thanks, I couldn't remember off of the top of my head.  I don't admin
> www servers but have come across the problem many times.
>
> The server tells the browser the type of application to use and I
> think that the browser can be configured to override this to some
> degree but I have never succeeded.

Yipes, I'm behind the times!  I examined the mime type associations
for Firefox on my system and found both mplayer-plugin and Helix
(RealPlayer 10) associate rpm with audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin
application. Things have changed since FC1 and this discussion:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2004-June/msg00039.html
. Back then I was under the impression that Real was deprecating the
rpm extension.  It appears that they have backed off from not
supporting the extension. From the Helix FAQ,
https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/help/playerfaq.html , it
appears that Real and Redhat are suppose to live harmoniously
together; Real using "audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin" and Redhat
"application/x-redhat-package-manager" for the rpm extension.
Apparently some web developers are not dotting i's and crossing and
t's.