theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 3 06:32:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 15:02 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> The reason personal computers
> became popular is because central management of mainframe type
> installations often didn't keep with their users changing needs.

One would imagine that it's more to do with marketing and perceptions of
the cost of one versus the other.  There are places that still use their
very old mainframes, because they do the job, and do it very well.
Their admins must be laughing their arses off at any business who has
spend time and effort updating software on thousands of terminals,
vainly trying to keep them safe, when they only have to maintain the
software on one computer.

I read messages from the public lists.