(Re-)enabling up2date

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 3 19:04:33 UTC 2005

On Saturday 03 December 2005 13:31, Timothe Litt wrote:
>Thanks - But: (A) before I did something silly,
>up2date worked just fine - with fedora, on this system.
>So it wasn't just for redhat enterprise commercial --
>I just broke the association with Fedora.  It must
>be possible to undo what I broke... (Yes, I feel
>appropriately stupid.)
>
>This was a plain install (+ patches till I broke them)
>Of FC3 - not an upgrade from an earlier version.  (The
>poor machine was suffering under Windoze till then.)
>
>I rather liked having an icon that turned red when there
>were updates ready, and 2 or 3 clicks later, the files
>downloaded and installed.
>
>On the other hand, I don't mind learning new tricks.
>What's the corresponding yum magic for "find necessary
>patches current inventory; download, & install"?
>
>Thanks.

Simplified a bit, and assuming you have a good set of files in
/etc/yum, the following commands will 1: show you whats available

#>yum check-update

Will spit out a probably lengthy list of stuff that can be updated.

# yum update

will duplicate that list and ask you for a y keypress to do it all.

Or you can do
#>yum update space seperated list of packages

to do it piecemeal.  The latter however will often refuse to do one or
more packages due to dependency issues that yum can sort by itself if
you just do the yum update without nameing a package or 7.

Some things IMO are best left alone, and my system is rather broken in
that as an FC2 install, I fixed a lot of its problems by installing the
latest gee whiz stuff from tarballs.  Yum has no knowledge of these, so
I have an exclude list in my yum.conf to protect my working
cups/gutenprint/gimp etc installs from yum, who wants to 'update' those
to versions that are 2 to 5 versions older than whats installed.  So my
system is considered broken, but it works just fine for everything I
want to do, generally speaking.  Right now, I think I've done something
to one of my printer descriptions as the darker areas of my christmas
cards are being lightened and solarized.  I also run the latest kernels,
currently running 2.6.15-rc4.  I'm a curious George.  And I'm an old
fart of 71, a semi-retired broadcast engineer.  What more can I say...

Anyway, "man yum" is your friend.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)