problem with network

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Dec 4 15:51:21 UTC 2005

On Sun December 4 2005 10:10 am, João Gomes wrote:
> Sorry, I was so stressed that don'i even saw what I was writting.
>
> The machine is a HP laptop, centrino.
> I'm connecting with cable to a network in a student residence.
> It connects directly to the internet.
> The network has a DHCP server, and I receive the IP address by DHCP.
> Yes, I think it has a router.
> In windows everything works fine, but I need the Linux to work.
> I tried Fedora and Suse. Both give me the same error. In Mandriva 2005 it
> works well, but I don't like mandriva very much.

A couple of things come to mind.

First, make sure that your network card is set to receive its address via
dhcp.

Secondly, you have to make sure that your firewall settings aren't blocking
dhcp.

There are so many ways to configure a fresh install, that it would be hard to
tell you specifically where to go to check/change those settings. For
instance, I use the KDE desktop, and you have the option to check Network and
Security Level settings from System Settings in the K menu. If you want a
quick and dirty check of these two issues, boot into KDE (an option at your
login screen), and you can check those two things that way.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA