moving /home

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Dec 4 23:11:54 UTC 2005

On Sun December 4 2005 4:24 pm, Claude Jones wrote:

> cp -pr /home /mnt/my80gighome

To update myself, I used the above with one small addition:

cp -prv /home /mnt/my80gighome

Unfortunately, I had a problem. I edited and rebooted, and the machine came up
fine, but when I went to log in, it just returned the login screen each time
I tried to log in under my username. It did let me log in as root, so I
changed fstab back the way it was, and rebooted, and now I'm back where I
was. I did check before rebooting, to see if the old /home was not mounted,
and that the new one was on sda1; sda1 was mounted as /home, and I could
browse the folders.

Presumably, something went wrong with the copy. I did notice there was a
discrepancy in the two home folders after the copy. 62 files totaling about
5k in size did not get copied. Maybe some lock files or something?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA