Alsa Sound Driver Problem

Peter Gordon admin at ramshacklestudios.com
Mon Dec 5 03:44:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 05:24 +0200, Mehmet Fatih AKBULUT wrote:
> hi all. (its me again, the one who has FC1)
> my sound card :
> Vendor : Intel Corp.
> Model : 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller
> Module : i810_audio
>
> i installed everything that contains the word 'alsa' in it.
> but still not working :(
> did some analysis on some forums found by google.
> but theres no remedy :p
> do u have any suggestion about this ?

Fedora Core 1 uses a 2.4-based kernel and the no-defunct OSS/Free
(Open Sound System). Thus, ALSA (the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture),
which effectively has replaced OSS/Free in the 2.6 kernel series, is
not compatible with it. (Actually, I think it *is* compatible with 2.4,
but since the OSS/Free kernel module for the hardware is loaded, the
hardware resources are reserved and so ALSA can't drive it.)

If you can't feasibly upgrade your FC1 box (as you mentioned in another
post, it was for school?), then I would suggest posting these types of
questions to the fedora-legacy-list, as FC1 reached its "end of life"
long ago and now is supported only for security updates and bug fixes by
the Fedora Legacy team. See: