use window XP files under Linux Fedora

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 13:23:37 UTC 2005

chen li wrote:
> Now I can make it. One more question: How do I umount
> it after I am done with my files?  I typed the command
> (umount /mnt/win) as root and the terminal says
> /mnt/win is busy. So what is going on?

To clarify: /mnt/win is busy means that there is some program running
that is "using" something on /mnt/win, either as a current directory, or
it has a file open.[1]

You can use the /sbin/fuser command to see which programs are using
/mnt/win. It returns the "process ID" of each program, and a character
representing how the filesystem is being used. You may need to be root
to see all the programs.

For example,
$ /sbin/fuser /mnt/win
/mnt/win:                 3425c
$ ps 3425
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
 3425 pts/2    Ss     0:00 -bash

So a bash command is using /mnt/win as a current directory, and it's on
terminal pts/2 (probably your second terminal window).

See man fuser for more details.

fuser is part of the psmisc RPM.

Hope this helps,

James.

[1] There are a few other possibilities: see man fuser for details.
--
E-mail address: james | "This was, apparently, beyond her ken. So far beyond
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | her ken that she was well into barbie territory."