what is an 'smp' kernel ?

joao.miguel.ferreira.19740720 at portugalmail.pt joao.miguel.ferreira.19740720 at portugalmail.pt
Mon Dec 5 15:27:58 UTC 2005

ok,

thanks all for the explanations.

On my system booting with an smp kernel is bad.... booting with a normal kernel
is good....

thank you

jmf

Citando Gilboa Davara <gilboada at netvision.net.il>:

 On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 13:50 +0000,
 joao.miguel.ferreira.19740720 at portugalmail.pt wrote:
 > Hello all,
 >
 > I'dd like to know what is an 'smp' kernel ?
 > Why are there 2 'smp' kernels and 2 'not smp' kernels in my /boot/ directory
 ?

 > Thanks...
 >
 > jmf

 SMP stands for "symmetrical multi-processing", or, in layman's terms
 having more then a single physical (or logical) processing core. (Or
 CPU).
 I assume that you have a Pentium 4 with HT (Hyper-threading) capability.
 (Which, in-order to improve performance, turns a single processor into
 two logical processors).
 An SMP kernel is required to support more then a single CPU. (Be that
 physical or logical)
 The Fedora installers puts two kernels, one with SMP support and one
 without.
 The normal SMP-less kernel is mostly used for troubleshooting. (Things
 tend to break on SMP systems...)

 Gilboa