Java program accessible by all users

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 21:48:42 UTC 2005

Paul Smith wrote:
> Thanks, Christofer. I was thinking about putting it in /usr/bin. Is
> that a good choice?

John Summerfied replied:
> No. Read your manuals:-)

Paul replied:
> Sure! Could you please suggest to me the relevant documentation?

I don't think you really got a good answer to that one, Paul. There's a
*lot* of documentation out there, and some of the best documentation for
that particular question is for old versions of Red Hat Linux.

I'd firstly point you to http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ , the File
Hierarchy Standard. I'd say that reading the whole lot is worthwhile: it
clarifies a lot about the way a Linux installation works, and why files
go where they do.

If you don't want to do that, the /usr/local section *is* worth reading.

As for the old documentation,
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-6.1-Manual/ref-guide/ch-sysadmin.html#S3-SYSADMIN-USR-LOCAL
(through to the end) is still 100% accurate, apart from some of the
subdirectories of /var having changed or not necessarily being there
(they never were). And three fairly obvious changes:
 * The File Hierarchy Standard has replaced FSSTND
 * yum / yumex / etc has replaced Gnome-RPM
 * Fedora and RHEL have replaced Red Hat Linux!

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | That brought a lump to the eye and a tear to the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | throat.