USB audio question

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Dec 5 22:46:47 UTC 2005

I've recently acquired a USB audio device which is supposed to work with
linux kernels 2.4 and above (I'm running 2.6.14.1).  When I plug it into
the USB port and reboot, the device shows up correctly on the current
mixer list of KMix as "stereo-link 1200 USB DAC" with sliders for bass,
treble, and PCM, which indicates that the system at least knows that the
unit exists.  But it's all plug and no play -- I'm not getting any sound
out of the unit and its LED indicator for USB input remains unlit.

This seems to imply I need to turn on (or toggle?) the USB sound
somewhere in Fedora -- when I play anything the music still comes out of
the speakers connected to my soundcard.  Any suggestions?