CD Printer

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Tue Dec 6 05:31:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:21:51 -0500, Peter Arremann wrote
> Guys,
>
> I've been trying to track down both software and hardware to print
> nice looking CD labels directly onto the medium using Linux. A
> friend of mine is running a Epson R340 with the bundled windows
> software and it looks really great - much better than the paper
> labels most people use.
>
> The hardware side is the first dead end. The printer needs to double
> as a regular letter sized desktop printer. Unfortunately the R[23]x0
> printers are all only partially supported according to everything I
> read on linuxprinting.org and others. HP doesn't seem to make a
> model that does cd printing. Neither does canon.
>
> The software is the second issue. GLabel looks good but how will it
> play together with the printer? I guess I'd then go through the
> template designer and then its trial and error from there... ?
>
> Any help is appreciated,
>
> Peter.

Well, the Canon Pixma Series printers support the direct printing to CD's. I
have the Canon Pixma 5000, and teamed up with Turboprint it will print to the
CD's ok. All I still have to do is to get the print alignment corrected and it
will be fine.. I haven't tried it with Glabels yet, as that may be another
alternate, way of printing..

Wolf