Subnets problem

Tony pthagonal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 14:21:42 UTC 2005

On 12/6/05, Andy Pieters <mailings at vlaamse-kern.com> wrote:

> So can I just connect the problem box to a spare box and run ethereal or
> arpwatch on it? I mean usually can you connect two boxes to each other
> without a hub or switch or router?  Just by using a cat-5 cable?
>
> Try it with a normal cable  - if you see link lights come on then you are
good to go. Else you'll need to dig out a crossover cable.

Going with a single cable between your FC machine and the toshiba device
means that you'll not have to wade through other network traffic, so is a
good plan.

BTW ethereal will give you a gui-based packet sniffing tool, whereas
arpwatch will email root with details of all new or changed machines it sees
talking on the network.

--
Cheers,

Tony