Getting a text file rid of all superfluous blank lines

Welty, Richard richard.welty at bankofamerica.com
Tue Dec 6 16:40:05 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> If I use a GUI tool with some kind of visual search
>I never know how to start or how to describe it.  Aside from
>every tool being different and rarely scriptable for repeated
>actions, every action depends on context to an extent that
>makes re-using what you've learned impossible.   Obviously
>I don't expect to have used the same GUI concept usefully
>for 20 years, but I can't think of much that has worked the
>same for even 5.

ah, well that's just never going to happen. everybody fancies
themselves a GUI designer (or GUI re-designer), and very few
are working in environments where meddling with a functional
GUI is considered a sin (these environments do exist, some parts
of my day job have such constraints; they are taken very
seriously and with good reason.)

richard