broadcom 43xx reversed engineered

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 6 18:00:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 09:00 -0800, Josh Coffman wrote:

> --- Patrick <fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 17:12 +0100, Patrick wrote:

> > Coffman
> > this:

> > wireless
> > have

> > checkout
> > if it

> > > Doh, thanks. That was the easy part. The driver
> > needs the softmac
> > > solution from http://softmac.sipsolutions.net/
> > Guess it won't be a
> > > quick make; make install...
> >
> > For the brave that want to try it. You can get a
> > snapshot of softmac at
> > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/bcm43xx/snapshots/
> > It did not build for me on FC4 x86_64 though. In the
> > bcm43xx driver
> > directory you have to edit the linux version around
> > line 857 if your
> > kernel uses 2.6.15 kernel source but is called
> > 2.6.14 as is the case on
> > e.g. FC5t1 kernels (and perhaps others).
> > Please let the list know if you succeed and how you
> > made it work.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Patrick
> >

> I might be able to stumble onto how to attempt
> building; like a blind squirrel, I occasionally find a
> nut... Anyway, it would help if you could post a short
> howto or where to start.
>
> I create a dir for this, called bcm43xx. then I cd'd
> into it and ran svn to get the bcm43xx source which
> downloaded to a folder called 'trunk'. Then I used th
> hg command to get the softmac in the same folder and
> it downloaded to a folder called 'source'.
>
> I'm running fc4 32 bit on an amd xp 1700+ and kernel
> 2.6.14-1.1644_FC4.

Since softmac did not build on my box isn't it a waste of
time to explain how to make it fail on other boxes too?
This is highly experimental stuff and if you have no idea
how to even build it than I think you are way out of your
league here...

Quick and dirty way of building it:

0) read all the docs in the softmac and bcm43xx dirs
1) go into the softmac source and type make
2) if it actually builds type make install
3) go into the driver dir of bcm43xx and type make
4) if it actually builds type make install
5) read the README's or other docs what to do next

A better option is prolly to explore ndiswrapper. Google is
your friend.

Regards,
Patrick