cups remote printing

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Tue Dec 6 18:58:33 UTC 2005

Dear List,

I am having some trouble understanding how cups works.  I have read some
tutorials and have it working on a FC4 system, but I still have some
questions pertaining the mechanics of being able to print remotely over
an internet connection.

1. I would like to perform some remote printing jobs starting from a SCO
3.2v5.0.5 through our firewall (Linux FC4) to a remote firewall (R.H
8.0) and remote printer (10.0.0.150).

2. I can easily set up a Jet Direct printer on the SCO box (does not
have cups installed) with the IP address of the remote site.  My plan
was to use iptables to allow tcp packets from the SCO ip address using
port 9100 to the remote (RH 8.0) machine and then forward them to the
remote printer's ip address keeping port 9100.  I could not get this to
work, but it seems to me that it should.

3. In looking for other ways to do this I started my research of cups.
Can cups be used for this kind of application, and if so I am not having
success in getting cups to work remotely from FC4 through the RH 8.0
system.  I have read the cups documentation and man pages, but am still
unable to get a connection from an FC4 system to the RN 8.0 system using
cups.

Thanks for any assistance,

Greg Ennis