VOB to a playable DVD

Patrick May patrick at pmmay.sytes.net
Tue Dec 6 22:53:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 05:34:47PM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 12/6/05, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > <dvdauthor>
> > >     <vmgm />
> > >     <titleset>
> > >         <titles>
> > >             <pgc>
> > >                 <vob file="video.mpg" />
> > >             </pgc>
> > >         </titles>
> > >     </titleset>
> > > </dvdauthor>
> > >
> > > There's the XML file that you need. Replace "video.mpg" with your VOB. That's
> > > a whopping 10 lines. ;)
> >
> > It works regarding generating a video DVD, Patrick, but still getting
> > a non-stop video DVD (on Kaffeine). I played the VOB file on Kaffeine
> > and at the end, it correctly stops. Therefore, the problem seems to be
> > caused by dvdauthor.
>
> I am going to try the dvdauthor mailing list, to see whether its
> developers have some workaround.
>
> Paul

I did some work in Kino and it pushed out the XML on the backend for me. Then
ran it in dvdauthor and it came out just fine. On that note let me see if the
XML file is still around...

I'm not completely sure, but I believe if there is no menu, and no other
commands the DVD player will just replay the disk infinitely.

Here's a fragment of an XML file of a project I did (I trimmed out 40 lines
that were all the same, except there were just the next section of video.):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<dvdauthor dest="/storage/video/dv/4x4-tape/DVD/final/">
        <vmgm>
                <menus>
                        <video />
                        <audio />
                        <subpicture lang="en" />
                </menus>
        </vmgm>
        <titleset>
                <titles>
                        <pgc pause="0">
                                <vob file="StarLakes-20050813000.mpeg"
chapters="" pause="0" />
                        </pgc>
                </titles>
        </titleset>
</dvdauthor>

(The VOB line wrapped.)

That worked just fine for me and it played in a DVD player just fine. (Once I
used DVD+R media, but that's beside the point.) Have you tried burning to
media and tossing in a hardware player to see how it reacted?

Patrick