saslauthd startup fails

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Tue Dec 6 23:56:38 UTC 2005

FC4 up2date

This is strange!  I installed FC4 and then I'm setting up saslauthd to
work inside a Postfix chroot.  Here is what I've done

Prior to the chroot change this works fine:
  service saslauthd start  <- logs show it started
  service saslauthd stop  <- logs show it stop
The change:
  rm -rf /var/run/saslauthd
  ln -s /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd /var/run/saslauthd
  service saslauthd start  <- screen says OK but logs show the follow:
---snip---
<time> <host> saslauthd[pid] main     : could not chdir to:
/var/run/saslauthd
<time> <host> saslauthd[pid] main     : chdir: Permission denied
<time> <host> saslauthd[pid] main     : Check to make sure the directory
exists and is
<time> <host> saslauthd[pid] main     : writable by the user this
process runs as.
---snip---

However I can run the command line of the command:

  /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/run/saslauthd -a pam -n 0 -c

and this works, note this is the command that is getting run. Then I
stop it with:

 service saslauthd stop

Hmmm...  Then if I put things back:

  service saslauthd stop                  <- logs show it stop
  rm -rf /var/run/saslauthd
  mkdir -m 755 /var/run/saslauthd  <-owner is root and root
  service saslauthd start                  <- screen says OK but logs
show the error listed above

Any of this make any sense?  What am I missing?