Problem booting after Yum update of FC4

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 08:20:40 UTC 2005

I suggested:

Tim wrote:
> I hope you don't mean continuously.  That would constitute abuse.

That's a fairly harsh definition of abuse you've got.

They've made the ping service available in the same way as they make the
HTTP service available. Accessing Google's web pages once a second would
not be OTT for a suitably busy site.

Continuous pinging *is* necessary occasionally as a form of network
diagnostic: it tells the network administrator whether (and in
conjunction with traceroute, where) to complain about network timeouts.

I selected Google partly because of the size and capacity of their
servers and network connections.

I don't think I'm abusing Google. I'm using the facilities they make
available in the way they're supposed to be used. And I'm not taking
anywhere *near* unreasonably large amounts of resources to do so.

So why do you think it's abuse?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | In the Royal Air Force a landing's OK,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | If the pilot gets out and can still walk away.