Restoring a full system

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 13:44:51 UTC 2005

Al Sparks wrote:
> Say I were to do a full backup of a RH (or Fedora for that matter)
> system, format the drives, and do a minimum RH install.
>
> What do I restore from that full backup to make things work, or
> probably more importantly, what should I exclude?
>
> I'm using Bakbone / Netvault software to do the backup and restore, and
> the restore is failing in the middle.  I've made sure to install the
> Bakbone client in such a way that it doesn't get overwritten by the
> install.

Stuff from RPMs should be reinstalled with RPM: this will be much easier
than trying to get a failing restore to work, since you'll then have a
consistent RPM database.

It would help to have a full list of installed RPMs. If you can get at
/var/log/rpmpkgs, this should tell you what you need to know. Plug that
into yum / rpm / whatever.

Beyond that, you should look at what you've customised (probably in
/etc), /home and /root (of course), and possibly stuff under /var (e.g.
/var/spool/mail). And wherever you keep any HTML files for httpd to
publish.

Do you actually still have the original system (which you want to
duplicate), or are you stuck with a dodgy backup and a blank drive?

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | It's fair enough for a surgeon to refuse to operate on
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | someone who won't stop smoking: you've got to give the