ICH6M SATA and poor optical drive performance

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 9 22:41:21 UTC 2005

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000d which has a SATA hard disk and PATA optical
drive.  The performance for the hard disk is good, but the optical drive's
performance is very poor, I can't turn on DMA.

I used a kernel patch that got both drives working well, but it caused my
kernel to be unstable (random lock ups).  Here is a discussion of the
patch:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/insp6000/p-disc.html#cd

I searched the web more and found a discussion on the kernel parameter
atapi_enabled=1, but that didn't work for me either.
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/351063

This is the kernel I'm using:
kernel-2.6.12-1.1381_FC3

Any advice, tips or hints?  Thank you.