Sound from two machines to one set of speakers.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 12:15:31 UTC 2005

On 12/8/05, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
> --On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:53 PM -1000 Chris Stark
> <cstark at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>
> > It sounds like you already have your KVM, but if you would rather not
> > invest in a mixer, you may want to consider getting a KVM with audio.
> > They seem pretty common these days.
>
> Anyone seen a KVM capable of handling 5.1 sound? Mine has the single green
> (front stereo) jack, but it would be nice if I could switch all the
> channels and retain the Surround capability.

Easy:
We bought nine audio jacks and a three two way switches and connected
them in a plastic salad container. You connect the left and right
sides directly to each other, and only the ground goes through the
switch. You need to switch three switches to move from machine to
machine, but if you can find a switch that works on three channels (or
a relay- I've only ever seen switches that work on two channels) then
that would solve that problem.

Note that both machines need to be powered on, (or the machine that is
off needs to be unplugged) - for some reason, when one of the machines
is off, there is a load humming comming from the speakers. When both
machines are powered on, it sounds great. No noticable loss of sound
quality.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/biography/14/abba.php
ABBA Song Lyrics and Biography