Should the USB subsystem unmount a disk when disconnected?

Welty, Richard richard.welty at bankofamerica.com
Mon Dec 12 21:06:24 UTC 2005

Doug P writes:
>Also, if I pull the USB disk out withoug unmounting it, the device does
>not unmount and remove the mountpoint. Now if I plug it back in it
>creates a second mount point.  Is this the desired behavior?  Shouldn't
>the disk unmount and the mountpoint go away.

well, in general it's kind of iffy to pull a USB memory device out without
unmounting first (on any OS). flash isn't fast stuff, and you run the risk
of having OS cache that hasn't been flushed. many operating systems will
warn you if they catch you unpluging w/o unmounting first (i've not tried
this with a recent FC distribution, but from your post, i gather that you
can unplug without getting lectured, which is unfortunate.)

i'm still trying to teach my wife to eject the CF card before taking it
out of the sandrive, but it's slow going...

richard