sendmail.mc masquerading

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Dec 12 21:06:35 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 12.12.2005 schrieb Guido Leisker um 21:23:

> I did hijack other list threads?

You started your own topic by replying to the list mail with subject
"Installation gone wrong...".

> erwin is the hostname!
>
> define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `guido-leisker.de')dnl
> did not solve the problem.
>
> May there be problems because my domain is guido-leisker.de and my mail
> -recipient is <...>@guido-leisker.de (hostet by a firm)?

There is an official mail system which controls guido-leisker.de as its
local domain and as well your home system with the same domain?

> in mail-queue there are later mails like this:
> The original message was received at Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:14:17 +0100
> from guido-leisker.de [127.0.0.1]
> with id jBCLEHsb004594
>
>     ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> root.erwin at guido-leisker.de
>      (reason: 550 5.1.1 User unknown)
>      (expanded from: <root at erwin.guido-leisker.de>)
>
>     ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 550 5.1.1 root at guido-leisker.de... User unknown
> 550 5.1.1 lists.gl at guido-leisker.de... User unknown
> 550 5.1.1 root at guido-leisker.de... User unknown

Is that a result from trying to send mail to the real guido-leisker.de
mail server?

> root at guido-leisker.de
> lists.gl at guido-leisker.de
> are existing mail accounts, hosted by the provider.
> Seems that sendmail still thinks that that are local addresses?
> Is there a loop?

If guido-leisker.de is treated as you local domain, then mail will not
be send for recipients of this domain to an external MTA.

$ echo '$=w' | /usr/lib/sendmail -bt

If guido-leisker.de does not appear there, then mail to this domain will
be sent to the responsible MX or A record host. Maybe you want to add
this domain to /etc/sysconfig/local-host-names.

I am not sure what you want to achieve. You give confusing information.
Please elaborate if the hints are not enough.

Alexander

Serendipity 21:58:55 up 8 days, 2:35, load average: 1.50, 0.67, 0.35