mplayer dvd sound grating or absent (xine fine)

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Mon Dec 12 21:29:18 UTC 2005

Tom Killian wrote, On 12/12/2005 04:09 PM:
>>When I play a particular dvd I get either a loud grating sound with
>>message about format ao being bad and something about big endian not
>>supported in AC. Or I get a message that there is just no audio (and get
>

> This happened to me with "Chicken Run".  Some DVDs seem to have a
> Dolby multi-channel surround-sound track as the default audio, and
> mplayer can't handle it.  If you run "mplayer -v ...", you'll see
> (among other things) a list of the audio tracks and their
> corresponding ids.  Pick one that mplayer understands and specify it
> with the "-aid" option.

Thanks for the sug. I will try that. However, for some reason, I got the
film to play once with default mplayer setup and I was able to see the
whole thing with sound. Then I stopped and restarted mplayer and then
sound was bad and never could get it back. (That's when I started trying
other audio driver selections.)