mail server

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Wed Dec 14 15:03:06 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 13:44, azeem ahmad decided
we wanted to hear the following:
> qmail is out of list n sendmail is harder to configure than postfix. well
> i got another issue and that is i have to configure it in such way that
> clients may access their mails though web browser, just like yahoo or gmail
this will require a couple of extra packages (which will work with any backend
mailserver)
1) an IMAP/POP server.
The two obvious choices here are dovecot and cyrus (there are others)
for a beginner dovecot is probably the right way to go (almost no config
needed)
cyrus is much more complex

2) a webserver
this would certainly be apache (httpd-2...)

3) a webmail program
squirrelmail is the shipped option, also very easy to get up and running
there are others (horde, for example) but I have no experience with these so
can't advise you at all

regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
"Quit worrying about your health.  It'll go away."