FC3 to FC4 upgrade problems

Peter J. Stieber developer at toyon.com
Wed Dec 14 18:56:25 UTC 2005

PS = Peter J. Stieber
PS> I have a dual opteron box and I believe I had every
PS> possible FC3 package loaded on it. I created a FC4
PS> install DVD and attempted to upgrade using anaconda.
PS> The installation seemed to complete after an hour
PS> and 45 min. When the machine rebooted, it booted the
PS> same FC3 kernel I was using before the install and
PS> there were no FC4 kernels installed on the machine.
PS>
PS> For some reason I do not understand, very few of the
PS> packages were upgraded to FC4. I used
PS> rpm -qa | grep -i fc4 and less than 20 packages were
PS> FC4. rpm -qa | grep -i fc3 on the other hand listed
PS> tons of packages.
PS>
PS> BTW The /etc/fedora-release was updated to FC4, but
PS> "yum update" had problems with package dependencies
PS> and refused to update.
PS>
PS> Is there a package dependency problem floating around?
PS>
PS> How can I upgrade my system to FC4.
PS>
PS> Pete
PS>
PS> PS: Does the FC4 installation dvd do anything other
PS> than this:
PS> 1) Update /etc/fedora-release with an FC4 string
PS> 2) execute "yum update"
PS> when updating?

I had an updated FC3 version of glibc on this machine prior to my
attempted update:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2005-November/msg00024.html

This caused anaconda and yum update problems with respect to FC4. I had
to use

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage glibc-*

to revert back to the old version of the packages. Then there was
another package dependency problem that forced me to

yum remove gnome-panel
yum remove libgnomedb

I'm in the process of the large

yum update

that should get FC4 packages loaded. After this I will run

yum install gnome-panel
yum install gnumerics abiword (these will use libgnomedb)

and I think I will have updated FC3 to FC4.

After using RH6-9, FC1-4 maybe it's time I look into gentoo
(http://www.gentoo.org/).

Pete