Something funny about Windows

Steven Ringwald asric at asric.com
Thu Dec 15 06:56:48 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:

> An Indian discovered that nobody can create a New folder anywhere with
> a name - "con"  on Microsoft Windows.
>
> This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the
> whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!
>

> Thanks and Regards,
>

> Ankush Grover
>
> PS: This mail is not sent to promote Microsoft Windows .

I would think that it is probably something left over from the old "copy
con outfile" command (which is similar in function to cat > outfile). In
this case, "con" is a special 'console' device...

From: http://www.melbpc.org.au/pcupdate/9200/9207article3.htm

<quote>
CON is a reserved word that DOS uses to refer to the STANDARD INPUT
(Jargonese for Keyboard) and STANDARD OUTPUT (More jargonese for Monitor).
</quote>

Steve