OT: Gmail and reading this list

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 15 12:23:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 16:27 -0600, Claude Jones wrote:
> when my own message gets back to gmail, it knows somehow, that it's
> the same message I sent 'through' before

I don't know about gmail's workings, but other systems might do that
sort of trick by checking the unique message IDs in each posts.  If an
incoming message's matches a sent message's, it's supposedly the same
message.  Usenet clients can use that technique to not double up on your
own messages in its database.

I read messages from the public lists.