Something funny about Windows

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Dec 15 15:47:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 10:07, Tomas Larsson wrote:

> I would assume that creating a directory/folder with the name "more" or
> something like that in the root of a linux installation would create some
> problems.

Actually you can create files or directories called more with no
problem.

Back in the mid 80's on a Xenix system I created a test program called
test.  Had problems getting this to work.  Finally realized that test is
a shell command.  Renamed the test program to something else and it
worked.

A few years ago I had a problem copying a program that was developed on
a linux system called com1 to a windows system.  Could not be done.  I
believe there was even a problem copying the source file com1.c over.
It is a reserved device name under windows.