Cups not seeing remote printer!

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 22:39:44 UTC 2005

I have read the posts in the mailing list and have trie the solutions
mentioned there.

I have 5 FC4 boxes!

Full name resolution on the local net, dsl router/firewall as the
gateway all local traffic stays local.

Epson Stylus CX6600 (as a note, I had the system functioning once
through the system-config-printer utility, but I completely wiped that
out and decided to try the cups alternative.)

Box 1 print.local.net (the print server)
Box 2 ns1.local.net (name server and general use)
Box 3 ns2.local.net (slave name server and video editing)
Box 4 linbook1.local.net (General Purpose laptop)
Box 5 linux5.local.net (General Purpose)

Configured the printer via the cups webinterface, all local printing
on print.local.net works flawlessly!

I have no configuration data about the printer from
system-config-printer on any other host.

I have tried both ways, manually pointing the /etc/cups/client.conf
file at the print.local.net server and not modifying it.  In either
case the systems will not even see the other printer.

I have selinux disabled, no firewall running or iptables.

Now, from all I have read, after configuring this printer on the
server it should show up for the clients within 30 seconds (that's per
the cups/sam page).

#########################
##from /etc/cups/printers.conf##
#########################
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.23
# Written by cupsd on Thu 15 Dec 2005 04:12:23 PM CST
<DefaultPrinter StylusCX6600>
Info Epson Printer Scanner Copier
Location print.local.net
DeviceURI usb://EPSON/Stylus%20CX6600
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

TIA

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org