wireless security (again)

Greg Stoehr gstoehr at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 16 01:47:45 UTC 2005

I read previous threads about wireless security, but am still having a
problem.  I can disable security on my wireless router (Netgear WGT624) and
communicate just fine.  As soon as I try to use WEP with 64 or 128 bit, my
card can't obtain an IP address.  I think it is in the KEY, but am unsure.
The Network GUI says to put a "0x" in front of the HEX, and I do, and it
doesn't work.  Even tried without it... I've manually edited the key-eth1
file with the same info, no joy.  I've deleted the entry and created it from
scratch (it does have the proper wireless icon) and still have the same
problem.  My wireless settings are Ad-Hoc, an named SSID (case sensitive
with the router), Channel 7, Transmit rate = Auto, then the key as
identified in the router.  I've even tried selecting another key, refreshing
the router, putting that KEY in the GUI, and restarting the laptop (IBM T23)
with no luck.  The card I am using is a Xircom (again, works without
encryption from the router just fine).

I'm dying here... any ideas?

Greg