Cups not seeing remote printer!

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Dec 16 12:02:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 04:39:44PM -0600, John Pierce wrote:
> I have read the posts in the mailing list and have trie the solutions
> mentioned there.
>
> I have 5 FC4 boxes!
>
> Full name resolution on the local net, dsl router/firewall as the
> gateway all local traffic stays local.
>
> Epson Stylus CX6600 (as a note, I had the system functioning once
> through the system-config-printer utility, but I completely wiped that
> out and decided to try the cups alternative.)
>
> Box 1 print.local.net (the print server)
> Box 2 ns1.local.net (name server and general use)
> Box 3 ns2.local.net (slave name server and video editing)
> Box 4 linbook1.local.net (General Purpose laptop)
> Box 5 linux5.local.net (General Purpose)
>
> Configured the printer via the cups webinterface, all local printing
> on print.local.net works flawlessly!
>
> I have no configuration data about the printer from
> system-config-printer on any other host.
>
> I have tried both ways, manually pointing the /etc/cups/client.conf
> file at the print.local.net server and not modifying it.  In either
> case the systems will not even see the other printer.
>
> I have selinux disabled, no firewall running or iptables.
>
> Now, from all I have read, after configuring this printer on the
> server it should show up for the clients within 30 seconds (that's per
> the cups/sam page).
>
> #########################
> ##from /etc/cups/printers.conf##
> #########################
> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.23
> # Written by cupsd on Thu 15 Dec 2005 04:12:23 PM CST
> <DefaultPrinter StylusCX6600>
> Info Epson Printer Scanner Copier
> Location print.local.net
> DeviceURI usb://EPSON/Stylus%20CX6600
> State Idle
> Accepting Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> </Printer>

Changing the server identification line in client.conf is the way to
go and restating cups is important. And it should show up in the cups
web interface on the client. No changes in the cupsd.conf on the
clients should be necessary. If you have done all that and printing
still is not occurring then that is a puzzler.

Is this printer a network printer?

Physician:  One upon whom we set our hopes when ill and our dogs when well.
-- Ambrose Bierce
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University