can Amanda append to a tape that's not full?

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 20:08:13 UTC 2005

I'm about to do my first Amanda install next week (or so I thought),
so I pulled out my O'Reilly "Unix Backup and Recovery" book. It's from
1999, and refers to Amanda version 2.4.2, but it says "Amanda
currently starts a new tape for each run and does not provide a
mechanism to append a new run to the same tape as a previous run ...".

So I thought, well, that's probably out of date and I went to check
the docs at Amanda.org, which appear to have been written for v. 2.4.2
as well and not updated (although the version I got through yum a
couple days ago is 2.4.5).

Can anyone tell me if this is still true? Also, it looks like Bacula
works the other way--it keeps writing to a tape until it's full
(although I can't tell yet if that's true over multiple jobs). Can
anyone confirm that?

This is for a very small business, with employees who aren't in the
office a lot. The idea was to change the tape weekly, but write
differentials to it 6 nights a week, and a full backup once a week (or
something like that). The tapes are easily big enough to hold that
much, and changing them more often would be very expensive.

Maybe I should just write a script and use tar.

Thanks a lot,
Matt