Forcing fsck on boot

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Dec 16 22:48:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 14:05 -0800, Christian Motta wrote:
> shutdown -Fr now
>
> or create a file in root called forcecfsck
>
> Q: How to force a check of the file systems?
>
> A: If the file "/forcefsck" exists a file system consistency check
> (fsck) will be forced at the next boot up.
>
> The command line commands look like:
>
> 	touch /forcefsck
> 	reboot

Correct on creating the file and its function, but I would *never* use a
'reboot' command without using 'sync;sync;sync;reboot'.   "reboot" does
not flush buffers, so if you fail to use the sync in that line, data in
the buffers may not be written to disk and filesystem or data corruption
may occur. It _has_ happened.

Using the 'shutdown' command handles all that for you with both the file
creation and the clean reboot.  Thus the suggestions to use "shutdown
-Fr now" as the best way to do a forced fsck on reboot.