FC4 CF-based Router

Steven Ringwald asric at asric.com
Fri Dec 16 23:44:52 UTC 2005

Bob Chiodini wrote:

>Do you ever sleep?

Actually, I just spent quite a bit of time catching up today. :-)

>Google shows a couple of hits with pivot_root and the 2.6.14rcX kernels,
>but they don't seem related to busybox.  I assume your pivot_root is
>from busybox.

Yes.

rpm reports that I am using busybox-1.00-4.

>You might try bringing in the binary from Fedora (/sbin/pivot_root).
>There is an example usage in the man (8) page.  It recommends cd'ing to
>the new root before pivoting.  There is an implication that something
>changed, or is changing.  Also have a look at man 2 pivot_root.

Right. I tried that, though I didn't try using the /sbin/pivot_root
binary because it is dynamically linked.

>The man (2) pivot_root page indicates that -EINVAL will be returned if
>old root is not beneath new root.  I assume that means the directory
>where old root will be mounted must exist.
>
>Can you post your new nash'less script?

Sure. It is attached.  I can get to a bash shell using it, and do stuff
in the "livecd" environment, just can't start init.

>I'm only on my first cup of coffee... I could be way off-base

You are a little ahead of me; I haven't gotten to the first cup yet. :-)

Steve